Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Web of Silver Scars



We all know the story/book of The Scarlet Letter. The woman had sex and a child with *gasp* a minister and had to wear a scarlet "A" for "adulteress" for the rest of her life living in the community.

A friend of mine posted this picture on face book about scars today.



So I started thinking. What if we had to wear our emotional scars much like the scarlet letter? Not in shame and guilt, but as a sign of survival and courage. While many of us would have web upon web of silver scars, the truth would be out there. Sometimes truth helps and heals, not just the one bearing the scar, but others seeing it knowing they are not alone.

If these scars were visible, would people who bash with the bible or use the "church" as a tool for hate, really be able to say "that wasn't me" or "I didn't mean too".

Too often folks who are different, who don't fit the mold, hear "its just tough love....I would never hurt you." "My church doesn't bash ________". Or my personal favorite "Love the sinner, hate the sin." We also hear "My words may be harsh, but I only speak the truth." "I speak the truth that is the literal word of God found in the bible." "Its not MY words, its GOD's words". Or hey, how about this one? "I don't mean harm or injury, I'm called to heal and save." "All sins are the same, and we are all sinners". (When this is aimed at you just because you love someone of the same sex, it can really stir a lot of anger when we don't view it as a sin.)

Come on, I mean, REALLY? WTF? How many of you, gay/straight/white/purple/autistic/neuro-normal/baptist/lutheran/catholic/agnostic/atheist/fat/short/tall/skinny/sober/drunk/"living in sin"/married/single/ (and the list goes on and on).....have not been hurt/stung/or emotionally scared by these very words and many others.

So I would like a way to ask, judgmental Christians, as I stood before them naked with my web of silver scars, if not you, then who caused these?

While many of these scars have healed into a strong beautiful silver network of webs across my body, heart, and soul, and have made me stronger, I am not immune to new lashes that cause ugly, red welts.  I hope, pray, and try my best to have the courage to share my scars in education both to those lashing out and receiving the lashes. Maybe one day, if we can all show our personal scars, there won't be anyone left to lash out.

 Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.' 
 -Matt 25:40 The Message

“The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”
Rumi

Because we believe that our ethnic group, our society, our political party, our God, is better than your God, we kill each other.
-Neale Donald Walsch


However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
-Buddha 

3 comments:

Shellie said...

I remember one time i was at the beach and had to cross the road where a house was being constructed, to get to the path. I was walking wiht my ex sister in law, who was quite a bit lager than me. Those terrible men started laughing and teasing "get those whales back to the ocean!" I was more hurt than embarrassed. We FAT people have rights too! I tuly believe fat people are the biggest discriminated group there is (no pun intended). I have those scars and am affected to this day. I have low self esteem and body image issues even now....I feel your pain, Carrie, may be a little different but I understand a little of what you go thru. Fat people need love too. We want to belong and have rights and not feel we are second class citizens. It is not fun being different than everyone else, so lets call ourselves a unique star in a galaxy of ordinary! love you!

Carrie Lynn Humphreys/ Autistic Mystic said...

Shell.....different is just that, different. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I really do ask myself if people REALLY TRULY knew how much jabs, teasing and and judgment hurt...would they be so harsh and cruel?
When you told this story I'm reminded of visiting a church back in my early 20's for a Christmas cantata.... a very large woman came in....instead of gently taking her to one of the places set up with chairs (almost every pew had chairs added to the end, and the front and the back had rows of chairs)....the ushers made a HUGE loud deal of making sure she sat in a chair so that she wouldn't "harm" their "antique" pews. Really? Every one around for several rows heard. She had tears in hers eyes most of the service.
She came to a strange church on a religious holiday alone and this is ow she was treated?
I remember the pain on her face and hate every day that I didn't think of something to say or do to ease it.
I think all emotional pain and scars HURT. There is no comparison....if it hurts you it hurts you. No ones pain is really greater or less, because it is our pain.

JC Farris said...

I too am left with many scars, some physical, some emotional, some both. They remind me that I endured something very difficult and I survived. For each scar, I am that much stronger. I see it as a scoreboard...one for me, zero for you (the cause of pain I endured). I am sure when my time on earth is over, I will be covered with scars, but when my spirit is released, it will be a beautiful grown spirit that transformed from an innocent child who had faced no adversity.