Saturday, April 14, 2012

Spark of the Divine Within

 
 
It only takes a spark to get a fire going
and soon all those around can warm up in its glowing
that's how it is with God's love
once you've experienced it, you spread his love to everyone
you want to pass it on. 

What a wondrous time is spring when all the trees are budding
the birds begin to sing, the flowers start their blooming
that's how it is with God's love
once you've experienced it, you want to sing its 
"fresh like spring"you want to pass it on. 
 
 I wish for you my friend, this happiness that I've found
you can depend on God, it matters not where you're bound
I'll shout it from the mountain top
I want the world to know the Prince of Peace has come to me
I want to pass it on



God, Allah, Yeshua, Gaia
Full of life, full of sparks
in you has been entrusted this spark
kindle it with love, care, and kindness.

Peace, love, joy, happiness
sparks to share
so simple, so easy
use your spark to light others.
 
Lately, as many of you know, I have been feeling a lot of anger. To counteract this anger, I've tried many tricks of the trade. Walking, meditating, prayer, and singing songs such as the one above that I learned from very happy times at church youth events. 

During these retreats, while we used the bible to study, we were taught much more about love from the Prince of Peace rather than quoting scriptures and not knowing the love behind them. 

Because of my fortune of not only being a Lutheran youth, but a VA Synod Lutheran Youth, I have a fountain of these songs in my head to sing when times are hard. I also enjoy singing them and sharing them when times are good. 

I've picked this song to share tonight on the eve before our Runick Group starts. A group of spiritual exploration. Where will it take us? We are yet to find out. The beauty will be in the journey.

I took liberty with this song and changed "him" to "God" and "Lord of Love" to "Prince of Peace". Personally, I find it much more accessible to those not of the christian faith to just slightly change words. (or maybe I just spent to much time in an MCC church) 

Each and every one of us have that spark of the divine in us. We call it by different names, but it is the life spirit given to us by our higher power. A spark barely burns, until it is shared and then the light spreads. I don't care who you are...queer/straight, what color, able or differently abled, autistic/neurotypical, with a spiritual life or seeking one, you have that spark. Together lets learn to make it glow and how to share it.

*Pass it On courtesy of Kurt Kiser
**MCC is the Metropolitan Community Church, the first accepted queer church started in 1969

No comments: